French Fries & the Main Course

Yes, you read it right - MAIN COURSE.It might elude you to think that something this simple can actually make it to the "Big Plate" but I can give you my reasonable alibi. And here it is - It was a bright sunny afternoon, I was tired of eating Mom's sad same old daal - chaval (Lentils and Rice). My stomach was rumbling and my taste buds were asking for something new. Something the doctor never prescribed me to have...something I would kill for! And I did. I killed the "Health-buff" in me, I murdered her! I went straight to the hot boiling oil and gouged the screaming potatoes into it! They screamed for help with all their splutter and splatter but I enjoyed every moment of watching them squirm in the hot boiling oil, shrivelling up and their skin turning a crisp golden brown. And as I bit into their flesh, I laughed..laughed with contentment..Ha..ha ha...HAHAHAHAHA! (*Evil Laughter*)

OK, none of that 'Hitchcock rip-off' actually happened but I was hungry and yeah, I didn't want to eat any more plain rice and lentils (read: boring) and I have hardly ever been a health buff, if you can count dreaming about Subway Sandwiches as part of it. So whaaaaat? Sometimes, you just gotta relax, loosen your pants and binge. And this is one of those times.

French Fries Recipe:


Ingredients: 

Potatoes(Medium sized) - 250g, peeled, chopped into 1/2" thick sticks
Salt - to taste (Don't overdo it)
Oregano(dried) - 1/2 tsn
Oil - for deep-frying(they say peanut oil is best for frying French fries)
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsn

Method: 

  • Once you have chopped your potatoes, dunk them into ice cold water and leave them there for about 1 hour.
  • Drain and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
  • Mix in salt and set aside for 15 minutes.
  • Heat the oil on med-high flame.
  • Fry the potatoes till half done - you will observe a whitish crisp forming on top. Remove them and set aside for a minute or two.
  • Then again, heat the oil on med-hot flame. Now fry those potatoes till completely crisp/golden brown in colour.
  • Once they are all done, place them on paper towels to remove excess oil. Dab well with the paper towels. 
  • Put the French fries into a large bowl along with the chat masala and oregano. Toss well and serve alongside some dips like mayonnaise and tomato ketchup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Conclusion:
These French fries are crisp and mildly citrous in taste because of the chat masala (Indian twist and well worth it). I finished an entire large bowl full of these fries and I want more!

P.S: I am no Potato-connoisseur, so I have no idea about the best variety of potatoes for french fries. I do know how to pick fresh ones though. And one more thing, if you are wondering why I soaked the potatoes in cold water - it just helps making the fries a lot crispier which would otherwise end up looking like limp carrots on the plate. Some people like adding in the salt after the frying is done with, but I stick by this method - always works for me.

Enjoy making and cheating on your diet once in a while. Give yourself a break, kick-back and laugh...Ha..haha...HAHAHAHAHAHA (*Evil Laughter*)

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. Ive added your feed to Blographia

    Bloggers of the World United

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and share...support blogging. Its a great read! :)