Nothing beats the Punjabis when it comes to wholesome rich (smothered in buttery goodness) dishes and so I picked to make Murgh Makhani this afternoon.
Murgh Makhani Recipe:
Original recipe here
Note: I used only half the ingredients as I had to serve a small number of people.
Chicken (Skinned, boned and cubed) - 1 Kg
Yoghurt - 150 ml
Almonds - 50 gm
Crushed bay leaves - 2
Red chili powder - 2 tsp
Cinnamon - ½ tsp
Cloves - ½ tsp
Green cardamom pods - 5
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Onions - 4 medium, sliced
Tomatoes - 400 gm
Butter - 1/3rd bowl
Fresh cream - ½ bowl
Salt to taste
Oil - 4 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Powder the Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves and almonds together to a powder.
- Grind together the above almond powder with tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala and half the quantity of the onions to a fine paste. Set this spice-paste aside.
- Now add the chicken into the above mixture and let it marinate for an hour minimum (it really tenderizes the meat and also the flavours seep into it).
- Heat the butter and oil in a deep pan, add the remaining sliced onions and fry till light brown in colour. Add the Chicken as well as its marinade into the pan and stir fry on med-high flame for 10 minutes till the masala leaves the sides of the pan and the chicken is cooked.
- Now add half the coriander leaves,cream, reduce the flame to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes max. Then garnish with the remaining coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis or basmati rice.
Tip: yeah, this may look lighter in colour than the version you get in restaurants only because they use synthetic food colours. If you really want that deep rich colour of a scarlet orange, then add in a few strands of saffron into the dish while adding cream and mix in.
Conclusion: This is a rich dish with the flavours tingling your tongue yet the cream and butter not letting them overwhelm you. Perfect Sunday Lunch. A close cousin of the Authentic laborious Butter Chicken, you are sure to get a good siesta after this heavy meal.