Masala Sandwich


I have a very disturbing habit of late..ok, its been for a while now..to be reaaaaallly frank, its been about a couple of years now - I wake up no later than 10 in the morning. Blame it on the late night net surfing or late night tele, but it surely has taken a toll on my health. Let me tell you that this is not a post about the morals of being an early bird or ant or whatever..but I mentioned so because this morning as well, I woke up no later than 9.40 A.M (OK, that doesn't seem like much improvement to you but it does to me!Hummmph!) And when I wake up that late, I need to get on my case quick to prepare a breakfast for mom and I. And therefore, I thought of rummaging the pantry for some quick ingredients for an easy and masaledaar (spicy) breakfast. Masala Sandwich is a recipe that hardly takes time to make and is the right breakfast to opt for when you want to please your kids as it is colourful and vibrant (with all the wholesome veggies inside)

Masala Sandwich Recipe:
Serves 3

Ingredients:

Bread - 1/2 lb, Slices. 
Carrots - 1 cup grated
Cabbage - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Capsicum - 2 (medium), finely chopped
Onion - 1(small), finely chopped
Coriander leaves - 1/2 tsn, finely chopped
Green Chillies - 1, finely chopped
Tomatoes - 1 (medium), finely chopped
Garam Masala - 1/4th tsn
Ginger-garlic paste - 1/2 tsn
Sugar - 1 tsn
Oil - 2 tsn + for toasting bread
Salt - to taste

Method:

  • In a pan, add 2 tsn of oil and heat on low-medium flame.
  • Add in the onions, ginger-garlic paste and chillies and fry till the onions turn a golden brown.
  • Then add in the tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes till the tomatoes turn soft.
  • Add in the rest of the vegetables and fry for a minute. Add salt. Sprinkle a little bit of water (about 4 tbsn), mix and cover. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Stir occasionally as you don't want your veggies to burn.
  • Mix in the garam masala and sugar and let it blend well for about half a minute. Garnish with coriander leaves and set aside this Veggie Masala
  • Lightly smear one side of each bread slice with a bit of oil and toast in on a flat pan till golden brown.
  • Take a slice of this bread and add a heaped spoonful of the veggie masala on the un-toasted side. Then cover with another slice and serve!
Note: I used plain white bread for this recipe. You can use any kind of bread you like.

Tips:
  • Sprinkle some grated cheese on top of the veggie-masala before sandwiching it with the bread. Cheese = taste + protein.
  • To add in more colour, add different types of capsicum like red, yellow and green together.
  • Substitute white bread with brown whole-wheat bread for extra health.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Conclusion: This is a wholesome breakfast which is both healthy and tasty. Its a mildly spicy sandwich and therefore doesn't make you run for the water-hose but surely, you will end up asking for an extra serving. Kids would love this preparation (Even adults!) as it fits their on-the-go fast food style and as its loaded with veggies and minimum oil, you don't have to worry about their nutrient needs being met. Great Sandwich, right?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, give me a couple of those for breakfast any day of the week! They look really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy and crunchy look, absolutely mouth watering! As I am dieting (supposed to be), I think I will get fat just by looking at your pictures and imagining myself eatig 4-5 of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat this sandwich for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a mouth watering blog... Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks tasty sandwich..

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and share...support blogging. Its a great read! :)