Why do cakes hate me?

Why do they? 
Did I not love them enough?
Or did I spend too much time on with some other food?? 
No, that can't be it..I have given my cakes a lot of time..special finger licking good cake-time.
Was I favouring a single kind of cake too much?...coz I love all cakes equally.
Or are they just jealous of my 'muffin-top'...do they find me as competition?? ;)

I was loyal. I gave them special time. All the time, I kept thinking about them. I hardly shared any of them with my family. I loved them so much, yet when I try to make some at home...they betrayed me. Everytime..I forgave them, yet they betrayed me..what did I do to
deserve such attitude...sob!


Ok, you can stop freaking out. I am not some cake fanatic out there to marry a cake and have cupcakes for babies...I was just kidding. But the disappointment isn't fake. I have been getting ideas and am inspired to include cakes in my menu. Even mini-cakes. I am so inspired by all the foodies out there at Blogger and Foodbuzz that I thought of trying out some in my own kitchen. Mind you, its not as easy as it sounds...atleast its not easy for me. What with no Graham crackers and sour cream and cream cheese in the larger common Indian market, its confusing. And corn syrup? I have to travel all the way to Bangalore or Pune to get that! And its EXPENSIVE!

Ok, So I thought I'd start with something relatively simple and easy. I had to, considering how much of an exact science Baking really is. I scoured up the internet for some basic egg-less recipes (don't be silly, I am a carnivore..just that I was too lazy to go out to get eggs from the grocer's) and came across an egg-less brownie recipe. I have lost the recipe..but here's what happened -

All the dry ingredients in..




See how smooth the batter is??







It should have come out by 35 min...but the bugger took 45!

The finished cake..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..wait..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
The real finished cake...
*SHRIEK!!!!*
look at this!..its a disaster!.. Now you understand my disappointment.
I actually vowed not to ever make cakes after this..neither did mom's "I told you so" helped. I almost cried, when fi told me that I should never give up..that trials and errors are a part of our work. Told me that I just gotta keep on trying and I'll get it right. : / Ok, I will..But in smaller batches. You'll understand if you knew what a mess it made to make this amount of cake. 


I have to clean all this?????? 

Do you know what really went wrong? I forgot to add the souring agent...yoghurt! eeeeeeek!

10 comments:

  1. Oh no I am sorry! Just say it was a lava cake and you meant for it to do that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad, sounds like you were really excited about making this. We all have had our kitchen fails, but we continue on-tommorrows another day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commiserate, it always hurts me so bad when bread doesn't rise, all those ingredients made into a flour brick. Blah. Did you at least spoon the batter? I love cake batter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Dawnie: Thanks for cheering me up...I could say that, but it was for everyone at home to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Tina & Michelle: Thanks for consoling me, gals..this is not my forte in the kitchen but I am gonna try again. Nothing is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Michelle: Ya, I did everything that the recipe asked for but I forgot to add in the yoghurt..that was a miss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no what a pity! I'm so sorry! But I'm sure the taste was not bad! try again! you'll see that it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Twinky: Thanks for encouraging me:) I am sure I am gonna try again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear I know how it feels. I'm getting better. Don't give up. Try again making suitable changes. I'm sure you will soon be able to post about your perfectly delicious cake. Till that time enjoy some chocolates. :D

    Have a nice day.
    ~Surya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Surya: Thanks dear..and a very cheeky comment too! Hmmm....and 'chocolates'? surely will.

      Delete

Please comment and share...support blogging. Its a great read! :)