Soya fetish


Recently I came across a pack of soya in the Reliance Supermarket while shopping for some juice. I wasn't sure but after watching Dr. Oz (Yes, Doc..you are making a difference!) for a while now, I thought it was time to bring about a change. I tried Oats before but had a bad experience with the white bland stuff..and my palette will never ever forgive that horrid dull taste of Oats Porridge. So, took it home and tried to do something with it. Got obsessed, practically speaking..hence the title. Didn't research on any recipe..just tried the usual masala bhaji style with this. I call it 'Soya Pea Bhaji'.



I used Nutrela Soya chunks here. Boiled them and strained them as mentioned on the back of the packaging. Then I fried some thinly sliced onions till golden brown. Here's a tip - add a pinch of salt to the onions while frying, they soften quick..watched it on Kylie Kwong. Then, added some tomato puree, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, RCP (short for Red Chilli Powder), bit of garam masala and chicken masala. After a few minutes, I added the peas and boiled soya chunks. Fried 'em a little. Then comes the salt, bit of sugar and a bit of cream to tone down the heat. Mixed the entire thing on medium heat. Added about 1&1/2 cups of water (coz the soya chunks tend to absorb water like sponge), and lowered the heat. I let it cook till the peas were done.

Here is mom putting the dish into a vessel, to be served..




And finally served with wholesome rotis.. my breakfast is ready! 
Verdict? Well, it tasted good..the tangy flavour of the purée blended well with the chicken-like texture of the soya..but the peas bought 'em all together to a well rounded flavour...and also that my family loves peas;)  I should have added a bit more of chicken masala and a bit less of RCP..these things take a lot of practice, you know..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share...support blogging. Its a great read! :)